Project Nanhi Kali Blog
Project Nanhi Kali was founded by Mr. Anand Mahindra, the current Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. The genesis of this programme has been his belief that women’s education would not only contribute to the economy but also issues of population and social evils like the dowry system and child marriage would reduce as more women are educated. Our work is rooted in the conviction that education is the single most powerful intervention for transforming lives. For thousands of disadvantaged girls in India, education is the only weapon that will open the doors to provide them with equal opportunity, so that they can grow, learn and realize their own potential.
We are launching the official blog of Project Nanhi Kali. This blog will give our supporters regular updates about the project, its progress and various other developments in our women’s education in India campaigns. It will help highlight the importance of women’s education in India through our various campaigns and events designed to provide education for girls. A few figures and information related to the project are as follows:
- Focus: Increase enrolment of girl students in school and decrease the number of dropouts to less than 10% from the existing 45%, at the primary school level itself.
- Success: Project Nanhi Kali has reached out to more than 200,000 unprivileged girls up to March 2016.
- Academic Support: Academic support is provided in the form of workbooks, extra tuition classes etc.
- Material Support: Material support is provided in the form of notebooks, uniforms, bags, shoes, socks, and even hygiene items.
- Social Support: The project involves important elements and individuals of society like teachers, parents and elders of the community. Project Nanhi Kali is earnestly working towards a shift in the mind-set of the community at large by helping the country understand equal rights to education in India.
- Geographical Coverage: The centres of the project are located in 3224 schools across 10 states in India.
- Management Partners: Project Nanhi Kali is jointly managed by the K.C. Mahindra Education Trust and the Naandi Foundation.
- Corporate Supporters: In all, over 400 corporations support our mission in educating the girl child in India. The big names include Titan Company Ltd., Cox & Kings Foundation and Hindustan Colas Limited, among several others.
How can one lend their support?
An individual or corporate can support the education of girls studying in primary school (class 1-5) for Rs. 3000 per year and of a girl studying in secondary school (class 6-10) for Rs. 4200 per year. Project Nanhi Kali sends a profile and a photograph of the Nanhi Kali one is supporting along with updates on her progress. Currently the project has over 8000 individual supporters.
In our future blogs we plan to share more information related to girl’s and women’s education and its impact on us as a society. We will also cover the many success stories of Nanhi Kalis and the progress and development of the project that is so close to our heart, making girls’ education in India a national pride.
- Radhika Nandwani